Second Phase of Campaign for Identifying Anfal Victims Kicks Off in Chamchamal
Kurdistan 12:09 PM - 2025-02-16
PUKMEDIA
DNA testing sample Kurdistan flag in the back.
On Sunday, 16 February 2025, the specialised national team from the Forensic Medicine Department in Baghdad and the Iraqi Martyrs Foundation's Department of Mass Graves Affairs and Protection, in collaboration with the Office of the Iraqi First Lady and the International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP), has begun the second phase of the national campaign to gather information and blood samples from the families of the Anfal victims in the Chamchamal district, Sulaymaniyah Governorate.
"In the first phase, specialised teams collected information and blood samples from Anfal victims' relatives in four stages across the districts of Kalar, Chamchamal, and Koya," Pari Nouri Aziz, Advisor to the Presidency of the Republic, told PUKMEDIA.
The teams include Baghdad's Forensic Medicine Department, the Iraqi Martyrs Foundation, and the International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP), according to Aziz.
She further revealed that the second phase of the national campaign to collect blood samples and information from the families of martyrs and Anfal victims will last five days in Chamchamal district, noting that the goal of this initiative is to build a centralised database for families of martyrs and Anfal victims.
As for the process, Aziz explained: "The First Lady is the one supporting and assisting specialised teams in completing their task as swiftly as possible, while the Iraqi federal government is responsible for carrying out the DNA in compliance with the law."
Iraqi first lady Shanaz Ibrahim Ahmed persists in her efforts to return the remains of mass grave victims to their relatives and families.
“Our work continues with unwavering commitment to return the remains of all Anfal victims to their rightful places and to uncover any remaining mass graves. This is not just a duty – it is a moral imperative,” she previously stated.
Iraq's fallen Saddam Hussein's Ba'ath dictatorial regime launched the Anfal campaign in February 1988, targeting Kurdish civilians and lasting until September of that year. It is widely regarded as one of the most dangerous cases of state-sponsored mass murder during Iraq's Ba'ath regime.
The military and regular forces, including the First Corps in Kirkuk and the Fifth Corps in Erbil, as well as the Air Force, Special Forces, Republican Guard, Commando Forces, security and intelligence services, military intelligence, and chemical and biological weapons departments, were all mobilized to carry out these operations. The Anfal atrocities killed over 182,000 Kurdish civilians, including women, children, and the elderly.
According to statistics, 270 mass graves have been discovered since Iraq's liberation, with many more still to be found. The majority of these graves are concentrated in the area between Diwaniyah, Samawah, and Najaf provinces.
PUKMEDIA
More news
-
European Parliament Member Calls for Continued Humanitarian Aid to Rojava
01:55 PM - 2026-02-21 -
CDO, Sulaymaniyah University Delegation Conclude Field Visit to Historic Shu’aibiya Monument in Basra
11:53 AM - 2026-02-21 -
North Oil Company Says Kirkuk Gas Compression Station Fire Under Control
10:26 AM - 2026-02-21 -
U.S. President to Visit China Amid Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
09:31 AM - 2026-02-21
see more
P.U.K 01:32 PM - 2026-02-21 PUK President: We Promise to Work to Strengthen the Kurdish Language in Every Sphere
Deputy PM: Our Mission has Shifted from Preserving Kurdish Language to Developing It
11:28 AM - 2026-02-21
International Mother Language Day Highlights Urgent Need to Protect Linguistic Diversity
09:56 AM - 2026-02-21
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
10:34 PM - 2026-02-20
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
08:02 PM - 2026-02-20
Most read
-
The Battle for the Mind: Cultural Independence in a Changing Middle East
Opinions 12:10 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Kremlin Says Russia–Japan Relations “Reduced to Zero” Amid Territorial Dispute
World 02:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Only One Bakery Can Operate As Kobani Siege Continues
Kurdistan 05:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. President Directs Government to Prepare Release of Aliens and UFOs Files
World 12:20 PM - 2026-02-20 -
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
P.U.K 08:02 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
Kurdistan 10:34 PM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. President to Visit China Amid Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
World 09:31 AM - 2026-02-21 -
UK Foreign Secretary to Meet Rubio Amid Renewed U.S. Criticism Over Chagos Deal
World 05:42 PM - 2026-02-20





.jpg)
Application

