Venezuela Condemns U.S. Measures as “Colonialist Threat” After U.S. President Orders Airspace Closure

World 09:40 AM - 2025-11-30
Skydivers get revved to perform in the Industrial Aviation Expo at the Libertador airbase in Maracay, Venezuela, 29 November 2025. AP

Skydivers get revved to perform in the Industrial Aviation Expo at the Libertador airbase in Maracay, Venezuela, 29 November 2025.

U.S. Venezuela

The Venezuelan government has issued a defiant response to escalating pressure from Washington, following U.S. President Donald Trump’s announcement on Saturday that the airspace above and around Venezuela should be considered “closed in its entirety”.

In a statement, Caracas described the remarks as a “colonialist threat” to Venezuelan sovereignty and a clear violation of international law. The government asserted that it would not accept foreign orders or intimidation, insisting on full respect for its airspace.

President Trump made the declaration in a post on Truth Social, writing: “To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.”

The Venezuelan government said that, as a consequence of the U.S. President’s comments, all migrant deportation flights to Venezuela had been “unilaterally suspended”. Deportations have become a central point of tension between Caracas and the Trump administration, which continues to pursue large-scale removal operations.

The U.S. Department of War did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The escalation comes amid months of U.S. strikes on alleged drug-smuggling vessels in the Caribbean and a growing American military presence in the region. President Trump has also authorised covert CIA activities inside Venezuela. Addressing military personnel this week, he said the United States would “very soon” begin land operations aimed at stopping suspected Venezuelan drug traffickers.

Tensions intensified further last week when the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued a warning to major airlines about a “potentially hazardous situation” when flying over Venezuela, citing a deteriorating security environment and heightened military activity.

In response, Venezuela revoked operating rights for six major international airlines that had suspended their flights following the FAA advisory.

Washington has long accused President Nicolás Maduro of involvement in drug trafficking — allegations he firmly rejects. Maduro, who has been in power since 2013, has repeatedly claimed that President Trump is seeking to overthrow him and vowed that both the Venezuelan people and the armed forces would resist any such attempt.

Although U.S. forces in the region are officially focused on counter-narcotics operations, the military assets deployed far exceed what is typically required for such missions. Since September, the U.S. has carried out at least 21 strikes on alleged drug-smuggling boats in the Caribbean and Pacific, killing at least 83 people.

Source: The Guardian



PUKMEDIA

see more

Most read

The News in your pocket

Download

Logo Application

Play Store App Store Logo
The News In Your Pocket