Government Spokes: Investigation into Khor Mor Gas Field Attack to Conclude Within 72 Hours
Kurdistan 01:52 PM - 2025-11-28
PUKMEDIA
The attack at Khor Mor gas field in Sulaymaniyah.
The Spokesperson for Iraq's Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Sabah al-Numan, said on Friday that the results of the investigation into the attack on the Khor Mor gas field are expected within 72 hours, as the inquiry committee continues on-site inspections.
Al-Numan told the Iraq's state media (INA) that “the investigative committee, formed by order of the Prime Minister, is carrying out field examinations at the Khor Mor site to establish the circumstances of the incident,” noting that the committee “began its work immediately.”
He added that “the findings will be available within 72 hours, once the causes of the incident and those responsible have been identified.” He explained that the committee is chaired by Interior Minister Abdul Amir al-Shammari and includes the head of the National Intelligence Service, the Kurdistan Region’s Interior Minister, representatives of the international coalition, and a technical team from the Joint Operations Command. The committee is mandated to investigate the attack, identify the perpetrators and those who enabled them, and ensure they are held accountable under Iraqi law.
Earlier, Prime Minister and Commander-in-Chief Mohammed Shia' Al Sudani directed the formation of the committee to investigate the attack on the Khor Mor field in Sulaymaniyah province.
The drone attack on Khor Mor is the latest in a series of incidents targeting key economic facilities, raising concerns about the security of vital energy infrastructure in the Region and across Iraq.
The Khor Mor field in Sulaymaniyah is one of the Kurdistan Region’s most critical energy assets, forming a cornerstone of its gas production and domestic power supply. Located in the Chamchamal district, the Khor Mor gas field is operated by Pearl Petroleum, a consortium that includes UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum. The site has been repeatedly targeted by Katyusha rockets and drones in recent years, with Kurdish authorities attributing these attacks to Iran-backed militia groups.
A drone strike on the field in April last year killed four Yemeni nationals, temporarily halting production and causing widespread electricity disruptions across the Kurdistan Region.
No group has claimed responsibility for Wednesday’s drone attack; however, similar assaults on the field in previous years have been widely blamed on Iraqi militia groups.
According to regional electricity authorities, the attack resulted in an estimated 80 percent collapse in electricity generation, removing approximately 2,600 to 3,000 megawatts from the grid. Footage circulating online showed thick black smoke billowing from the site, while neighbourhoods across the Kurdistan Region reported widespread power outages.
The attack prompted widespread condemnation at both local and international levels.
PUKMEDIA
More news
-
European Parliament Member Calls for Continued Humanitarian Aid to Rojava
01:55 PM - 2026-02-21 -
CDO, Sulaymaniyah University Delegation Conclude Field Visit to Historic Shu’aibiya Monument in Basra
11:53 AM - 2026-02-21 -
North Oil Company Says Kirkuk Gas Compression Station Fire Under Control
10:26 AM - 2026-02-21 -
U.S. President to Visit China Amid Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
09:31 AM - 2026-02-21
see more
P.U.K 01:32 PM - 2026-02-21 PUK President: We Promise to Work to Strengthen the Kurdish Language in Every Sphere
Deputy PM: Our Mission has Shifted from Preserving Kurdish Language to Developing It
11:28 AM - 2026-02-21
International Mother Language Day Highlights Urgent Need to Protect Linguistic Diversity
09:56 AM - 2026-02-21
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
10:34 PM - 2026-02-20
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
08:02 PM - 2026-02-20
Most read
-
The Battle for the Mind: Cultural Independence in a Changing Middle East
Opinions 12:10 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Kremlin Says Russia–Japan Relations “Reduced to Zero” Amid Territorial Dispute
World 02:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Only One Bakery Can Operate As Kobani Siege Continues
Kurdistan 05:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. President Directs Government to Prepare Release of Aliens and UFOs Files
World 12:20 PM - 2026-02-20 -
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
P.U.K 08:02 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
Kurdistan 10:34 PM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. President to Visit China Amid Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
World 09:31 AM - 2026-02-21 -
UK Foreign Secretary to Meet Rubio Amid Renewed U.S. Criticism Over Chagos Deal
World 05:42 PM - 2026-02-20





.jpg)
Application

