U.S. Pays $160 Million of More Than $4 Billion Owed to UN

World 11:03 AM - 2026-02-20
U.S President Donald Trump talks with world leaders participating in the inaugural Board of Peace meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace in Washington. Reuters

U.S President Donald Trump talks with world leaders participating in the inaugural Board of Peace meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace in Washington.

U.S. United Nations

The United States has paid approximately $160 million of the more than $4 billion it owes to the United Nations, a UN spokesperson said on Thursday, as U.S. President Donald Trump hosted the first meeting of his “Board of Peace” initiative.

"Last week, we received about $160 million from the United States as a partial payment of its past dues for the U.N. regular budget," the U.N. spokesperson said in a statement.

President Trump said during his comments at the opening "Board of Peace" meeting that Washington would give the United Nations money to strengthen it.

The United States is the largest contributor to the United Nations budget. However, under the Trump administration, Washington has declined to make mandatory contributions to both the regular and peacekeeping budgets and has significantly reduced voluntary funding to UN agencies that operate under separate budgets. The United States has also withdrawn from dozens of UN bodies.

According to UN officials, the United States owed $2.19 billion to the regular UN budget as of the beginning of February, accounting for more than 95 per cent of the total outstanding contributions owed by Member States. In addition, Washington owes a further $2.4 billion in relation to current and past peacekeeping operations, as well as $43.6 million for UN tribunals.

"We're going to help them (U.N.) money-wise, and we're going to make sure the United Nations is viable," President Trump said. "I think the United Nations has great potential, really great potential. It has not lived up to (that) potential."

Several countries, including major powers in the Global South and key U.S. allies in the West, have expressed reluctance to participate in President Trump’s “Board of Peace,” which he chairs. Experts have warned that the initiative could undermine the role of the United Nations.

President Trump launched the board last month, having first proposed it late last year as part of his plan to end Israel’s conflict in Gaza.

A United Nations Security Council resolution adopted late last year recognised the board through 2027, limiting its mandate to Gaza, the Palestinian territory it was intended to oversee following Israel’s devastating more than two‑year military campaign. Under Trump’s original plan, the board was to supervise Gaza’s temporary governance. President Trump has since stated that the board will address global conflicts and expand its focus beyond Gaza.

Source: Reuters



PUKMEDIA

see more

Most read

The News in your pocket

Download

Logo Application

Play Store App Store Logo
The News In Your Pocket