U.S. Military Conducts Strike on Suspected Drug-Smuggling Vessel in Pacific
World 09:37 AM - 2026-01-24
U.S. Southern Command
A vessel that the military says was ‘engaged in narco-trafficking operations.
The U.S. military said on Friday that it carried out a strike on a vessel in the eastern Pacific Ocean, killing two people suspected of involvement in drug trafficking.
In a statement, U.S. Southern Command said intelligence had confirmed that the vessel was travelling along known narcotics trafficking routes and was actively engaged in smuggling operations.
Friday’s strike marked the first known attack since President Donald Trump earlier this month ordered the U.S. military to capture Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro. According to the statement, “two narco-terrorists were killed,” while a search operation for a possible survivor was ongoing. Footage released alongside the announcement showed a small boat moving through the water before erupting into flames following the strike.
The U.S. military has conducted more than 30 strikes against vessels it alleges were involved in drug smuggling off South American waters since early September. According to the Associated Press, citing information from the Trump administration, these operations have resulted in more than 100 fatalities.
More recently, U.S. forces have shifted focus towards seizing sanctioned oil tankers allegedly linked to Venezuela. This followed a surprise operation to capture Mr Maduro and transport him to New York to face drug trafficking charges. Last week, U.S. forces in the Caribbean Sea seized an oil tanker that Mr Trump said had connections to Venezuela.
Following Maduro’s removal, the Trump administration moved to assert control over the global distribution of Venezuelan oil products. Mr Trump later announced an agreement with Venezuela’s interim leadership that he said would allow the United States access to up to 50 million barrels of crude oil. He also signed an executive order aimed at “safeguarding” Venezuelan oil revenues in U.S.-controlled accounts.
The most recent boat strikes prior to Friday’s operation took place in late December, when the U.S. military reported striking five alleged drug-smuggling vessels over two days. Eight people were killed, while others reportedly jumped overboard. The US Coast Guard later suspended its search operations.
Source: The Guardian
PUKMEDIA
More news
-
Qubad Talabani Meets British Consul General to Discuss Regional Development
08:11 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Shaswar Abdulwahid: Our Agreement With PUK Aims to Serve the People of Kurdistan
05:12 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Iraqi Parliament Approves Committee Amendments and Key Appointments
04:49 PM - 2026-02-17 -
U.S. President Says He Will Be Involved Indirectly in Iran Talks
10:19 AM - 2026-02-17
see more
Kurdistan 10:32 PM - 2026-02-17 PUK President Calls for Harmony and National Responsibility in Ramadan Message
Asayish Dismantle ISIS-Affiliated Cell in Kurdistan Region
08:50 PM - 2026-02-17
PUK Politburo Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslims in Kurdistan and Iraq
08:05 PM - 2026-02-17
188 Violations Against Journalists Recorded in Kurdistan in 2025, Report Finds
03:17 PM - 2026-02-17
Qubad Talabani: Changes Will Begin From Erbil
12:43 PM - 2026-02-17
Most read
-
Iraqi Parliament Approves Committee Amendments and Key Appointments
Iraq 04:49 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Asayish Dismantle ISIS-Affiliated Cell in Kurdistan Region
Kurdistan 08:50 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Qubad Talabani: Changes Will Begin From Erbil
P.U.K 12:43 PM - 2026-02-17 -
U.S. President Says He Will Be Involved Indirectly in Iran Talks
World 10:19 AM - 2026-02-17 -
Qubad Talabani Meets British Consul General to Discuss Regional Development
Kurdistan 08:11 PM - 2026-02-17 -
PUK Politburo Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslims in Kurdistan and Iraq
P.U.K 08:05 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Cyber Attacks on Sulaymaniyah Media Intensify
Reports 11:37 AM - 2026-02-17 -
Brent Edges Lower as Focus Shifts to Key U.S.-Iran Talks
News 09:08 AM - 2026-02-17






Application

