Libyan Authorities Free More Than 200 Migrants From Secret Prison, Sources Say
World 10:41 PM - 2026-01-18
Sahara Reporters
Southeastern town of Kufra, Libya, located on a map.
Libyan security authorities have freed more than 200 migrants from what they described as a secret prison in the southeastern town of Kufra, where they were held in inhuman conditions, two local security sources told Reuters on Sunday.
Reuters quoted sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the operation uncovered an underground detention facility nearly three metres deep, allegedly run by a Libyan human trafficker. One of the sources said the suspect has not yet been arrested.
“Some of the freed migrants had been held captive for up to two years in underground cells,” one source said.
Another source described the discovery as “one of the most serious crimes against humanity uncovered in the region,” adding that the operation involved a raid on a hidden prison containing multiple underground detention chambers.
According to the sources, the migrants are from sub-Saharan Africa, primarily Somalia and Eritrea, and include women and children. Kufra is located around 1,700 kilometres east of the capital, Tripoli.
Libya has become a key transit route for migrants fleeing conflict and poverty in Africa and the Middle East since the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in a NATO-backed uprising in 2011. Many attempt dangerous journeys across the desert and the Mediterranean in hopes of reaching Europe.
Despite its oil-based economy attracting migrants seeking work, Libya’s weak security situation has left many vulnerable to exploitation, abuse and trafficking.
Last week, at least 21 migrant bodies were discovered in a mass grave in eastern Libya. Two security sources told Reuters that up to 10 survivors found with the group showed signs of having been tortured before being freed.
Libya’s Attorney General said on Friday that authorities in the east had referred a suspect to court in connection with the mass grave, on charges of committing serious violations against migrants.
In February last year, authorities recovered 39 migrant bodies from around 55 mass graves in Kufra. The town is also home to tens of thousands of Sudanese refugees who fled the conflict that erupted in Sudan in 2023.
Source: Reuters
PUKMEDIA
More news
-
Qubad Talabani Meets British Consul General to Discuss Regional Development
08:11 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Shaswar Abdulwahid: Our Agreement With PUK Aims to Serve the People of Kurdistan
05:12 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Iraqi Parliament Approves Committee Amendments and Key Appointments
04:49 PM - 2026-02-17 -
U.S. President Says He Will Be Involved Indirectly in Iran Talks
10:19 AM - 2026-02-17
see more
Kurdistan 10:32 PM - 2026-02-17 PUK President Calls for Harmony and National Responsibility in Ramadan Message
Asayish Dismantle ISIS-Affiliated Cell in Kurdistan Region
08:50 PM - 2026-02-17
PUK Politburo Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslims in Kurdistan and Iraq
08:05 PM - 2026-02-17
188 Violations Against Journalists Recorded in Kurdistan in 2025, Report Finds
03:17 PM - 2026-02-17
Qubad Talabani: Changes Will Begin From Erbil
12:43 PM - 2026-02-17
Most read
-
Iraqi Parliament Approves Committee Amendments and Key Appointments
Iraq 04:49 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Asayish Dismantle ISIS-Affiliated Cell in Kurdistan Region
Kurdistan 08:50 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Qubad Talabani: Changes Will Begin From Erbil
P.U.K 12:43 PM - 2026-02-17 -
U.S. President Says He Will Be Involved Indirectly in Iran Talks
World 10:19 AM - 2026-02-17 -
Qubad Talabani Meets British Consul General to Discuss Regional Development
Kurdistan 08:11 PM - 2026-02-17 -
PUK Politburo Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslims in Kurdistan and Iraq
P.U.K 08:05 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Cyber Attacks on Sulaymaniyah Media Intensify
Reports 11:37 AM - 2026-02-17 -
Brent Edges Lower as Focus Shifts to Key U.S.-Iran Talks
News 09:08 AM - 2026-02-17






Application

