Trump Says Iran Has Sought Talks With Washington Amid Protest Crackdown

World 10:49 AM - 2026-01-12
Footage shared on an anonymous Telegram account showed a protest in Bandar-e Anzali, northern Iran, on Thursday, January 8, 2026. Le Monde

Footage shared on an anonymous Telegram account showed a protest in Bandar-e Anzali, northern Iran, on Thursday, January 8, 2026.

Iran The US

US President Donald Trump has stated that Iranian officials have reached out to initiate negotiations with Washington, as concerns grow over unrest and protests across the country.

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump said Iranian officials had reached out to the United States to begin discussions amid ongoing unrest. “A meeting is being arranged,” the president added, while noting that the US may still need to respond depending on how the situation develops.

Reports indicate that the protests have resulted in significant casualties, with human rights groups estimating at least 500 people have died and more than 10,000 detained. Official figures from Iranian authorities have not been released, and limited communications have made verification difficult.

Trump suggested that the Iranian initiative could reflect a desire to prevent further escalation and international concern, saying the Iranian government “wants to negotiate.” He added that the US continues to consider its options depending on developments.

There has been no immediate comment from the Iranian government regarding the proposed talks. Tehran has previously expressed concern over perceived foreign interference and has warned against external intervention.

Sources: AP, Reuters, and Axios


PUKMEDIA

see more

Most read

The News in your pocket

Download

Logo Application

Play Store App Store Logo
The News In Your Pocket