Mazloum Abdi: We Have Reached a Ceasefire Understanding in Aleppo
World 10:11 AM - 2026-01-11
Reuters
SDF Commander Mazloum Abdi.
Mazloum Abdi, Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), announced on Sunday that they have reached a ceasefire with the Damascus government through international mediation intended to halt the attacks and violations against the people in Aleppo.
SDF Commander-in-Chief Mazloum Abdi said in a statement posted on the social media platform X: “Through international mediation intended to halt the attacks and violations against our people in Aleppo, we have reached an understanding that will lead to a ceasefire and ensure the safe evacuation of martyrs, the wounded, trapped civilians, and fighters from the Ashrafieh and Sheikh Maqsoud neighbourhoods to northern and eastern Syria.”
He added: “We call on the mediators to honour their promises to stop the violations and to work towards the safe return of the displaced to their homes,” he said.
Addressing fighters and civilians in the two neighbourhoods, Abdi paid tribute to their resilience. “To the resistance fighters of Sheikh Maqsoud and Ashrafieh, their martyrs, their comrades, their families, and the civilians who stood firm, we extend our deepest respect and admiration,” he said.
“We offer our condolences to ourselves and to the families of the martyrs and our people, and we pray for the speedy recovery of the wounded,” he added.
Fierce clashes erupted last week in the Sheikh Maqsoud and Ashrafieh neighbourhoods of Aleppo and continued for several days, leaving dozens killed and injured.
The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) had previously said that the Kurdish neighbourhoods had been under siege by Syrian government forces for more than six months, in violation of existing agreements governing security arrangements in the area.
According to the SDF, the Syrian army and affiliated factions later launched a large-scale operation against the Internal Security Forces (Asayish) of the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (AANES), declaring the neighbourhoods a “closed military area”.
Despite several days of resistance by local forces and repeated calls by the Rojava authorities and international actors to resolve the situation through dialogue, thousands of heavily armed fighters reportedly entered the Kurdish neighbourhoods, accompanied by armoured vehicles and heavy equipment.
PUKMEDIA
More news
-
Qubad Talabani Meets British Consul General to Discuss Regional Development
08:11 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Shaswar Abdulwahid: Our Agreement With PUK Aims to Serve the People of Kurdistan
05:12 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Iraqi Parliament Approves Committee Amendments and Key Appointments
04:49 PM - 2026-02-17 -
U.S. President Says He Will Be Involved Indirectly in Iran Talks
10:19 AM - 2026-02-17
see more
Kurdistan 10:32 PM - 2026-02-17 PUK President Calls for Harmony and National Responsibility in Ramadan Message
Asayish Dismantle ISIS-Affiliated Cell in Kurdistan Region
08:50 PM - 2026-02-17
PUK Politburo Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslims in Kurdistan and Iraq
08:05 PM - 2026-02-17
188 Violations Against Journalists Recorded in Kurdistan in 2025, Report Finds
03:17 PM - 2026-02-17
Qubad Talabani: Changes Will Begin From Erbil
12:43 PM - 2026-02-17
Most read
-
Iraqi Parliament Approves Committee Amendments and Key Appointments
Iraq 04:49 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Asayish Dismantle ISIS-Affiliated Cell in Kurdistan Region
Kurdistan 08:50 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Qubad Talabani: Changes Will Begin From Erbil
P.U.K 12:43 PM - 2026-02-17 -
U.S. President Says He Will Be Involved Indirectly in Iran Talks
World 10:19 AM - 2026-02-17 -
Qubad Talabani Meets British Consul General to Discuss Regional Development
Kurdistan 08:11 PM - 2026-02-17 -
PUK Politburo Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslims in Kurdistan and Iraq
P.U.K 08:05 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Cyber Attacks on Sulaymaniyah Media Intensify
Reports 11:37 AM - 2026-02-17 -
Brent Edges Lower as Focus Shifts to Key U.S.-Iran Talks
News 09:08 AM - 2026-02-17






Application

