U.S. President Says Airspace Above and Surrounding Venezuela to Be Closed in Its Entirety

World 05:37 PM - 2025-11-29
A drone view shows a fishing boat anchored in the Gulf of Paria, and the coast of Venezuela in the back, in Cedros, Trinidad and Tobago,  17 November 2025. Reuters

A drone view shows a fishing boat anchored in the Gulf of Paria, and the coast of Venezuela in the back, in Cedros, Trinidad and Tobago, 17 November 2025.

U.S. Venezuela

U.S. President Donald Trump declared on Saturday that the airspace over and around Venezuela should be regarded as “completely closed”, as Washington intensifies pressure on President Nicolás Maduro’s government.

In a post on Truth Social, the U.S. President wrote: “To all airlines, pilots, drug dealers, and human traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.”

Venezuela’s communications ministry, which handles all government press matters, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The United States has been conducting strikes against alleged drug-trafficking vessels in the Caribbean for several months, alongside a significant military build-up in the region. Trump has also authorised covert CIA operations in Venezuela.

Addressing U.S. service members this week, Trump said that the United States would “very soon” begin land operations aimed at halting suspected Venezuelan drug-trafficking activities.

Last week, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) warned major airlines of a “potentially hazardous situation” when flying over Venezuela, citing a deteriorating security environment and increased military activity in and around the country.

In response, Venezuela revoked the operating rights of six major international airlines that had suspended their flights following the FAA advisory.

The Trump administration has repeatedly accused Maduro of involvement in drug trafficking, allegations he firmly denies. Maduro, who has been in power since 2013, has claimed that Trump is attempting to remove him from office and insists that Venezuelan citizens and the military will resist any such effort.

U.S. forces in the region remain officially focused on counter-narcotics operations, though the extent of the military presence exceeds what would ordinarily be required. Since September, they have conducted at least 21 strikes on alleged drug-running vessels in the Caribbean and Pacific, resulting in at least 83 deaths.

Source: Reuters



PUKMEDIA

see more

Most read

The News in your pocket

Download

Logo Application

Play Store App Store Logo
The News In Your Pocket