Asayish Statement: Lalezar Operation Conducted Under Court Authority
Kurdistan 03:31 PM - 2025-08-22
PUKMEDIA
Asayish's logo.
The Kurdistan Region Security Agency (Asayish) has issued a statement regarding the arrest of Lahur Jangi, reaffirming that the operation was carried out strictly in accordance with a court order and in line with the principles of law, with the aim of safeguarding security and peace.
The statement read: “In an armed clash that lasted more than three hours in the early hours of Friday, 22 August, our forces took control of the Lalezar Hotel in the Sarchinar district of Sulaymaniyah and arrested all the militants who confronted our units.”
The statement clarified: "Following the issuance of an arrest warrant under Article 406 of the Iraqi Penal Code by the Asayish Investigation Court for Lahur Jangi Burhan and several other wanted individuals, the order was referred to the security forces for enforcement."
The Asayish confirmed that repeated attempts were made to secure a peaceful surrender, including direct telephone contacts with the wanted individuals and public warnings broadcast via loudspeakers, assuring them that their lives would be protected if they laid down their arms.
However, the statement noted that the suspects refused to comply, declaring instead that they commanded an armed militia and would resist arrest and subsequently opened fire on the Asayish, who are official forces of the Kurdistan Regional Government performing their lawful duties.
“Our forces were then compelled to respond in order to enforce the arrest warrants and protect public security. This operation was carried out strictly on the basis of the judicial decision, leaving no room for deviation from the law. Security and peace will continue to be upheld,” the statement added.
The Asayish confirmed that its units had secured the Lalezar Hotel and the surrounding area, removing all armed groups operating outside the law.
Tragically, three members of the security forces were martyred during the clashes, and 19 others sustained injuries. The Asayish extended its deepest condolences to the families of the martyrs and wished the injured a full and swift recovery.
The statement concluded: “The situation in Sulaymaniyah has now stabilised, and normal life has resumed. The security and peace of Sulaymaniyah are a red line. No illegal group will be permitted to disrupt the stability of our region. All suspects arrested at Lalezar have been taken into custody in accordance with the law and will be brought to justice.”
Regarding the incident, Sulaymaniyah Court Spokesperson, Judge Salah Hassan, previously stated on Friday afternoon: “What occurred at Lalezar was the result of the defendants’ refusal to surrender, and the incident unfortunately led to deaths and injuries.”
He added that the defendants will face prosecution under Article 406 of the Iraqi Penal Code.
PUKMEDIA
More news
-
European Parliament Member Calls for Continued Humanitarian Aid to Rojava
01:55 PM - 2026-02-21 -
CDO, Sulaymaniyah University Delegation Conclude Field Visit to Historic Shu’aibiya Monument in Basra
11:53 AM - 2026-02-21 -
North Oil Company Says Kirkuk Gas Compression Station Fire Under Control
10:26 AM - 2026-02-21 -
U.S. President to Visit China Amid Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
09:31 AM - 2026-02-21
see more
P.U.K 01:32 PM - 2026-02-21 PUK President: We Promise to Work to Strengthen the Kurdish Language in Every Sphere
Deputy PM: Our Mission has Shifted from Preserving Kurdish Language to Developing It
11:28 AM - 2026-02-21
International Mother Language Day Highlights Urgent Need to Protect Linguistic Diversity
09:56 AM - 2026-02-21
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
10:34 PM - 2026-02-20
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
08:02 PM - 2026-02-20
Most read
-
The Battle for the Mind: Cultural Independence in a Changing Middle East
Opinions 12:10 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Kremlin Says Russia–Japan Relations “Reduced to Zero” Amid Territorial Dispute
World 02:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Only One Bakery Can Operate As Kobani Siege Continues
Kurdistan 05:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. President Directs Government to Prepare Release of Aliens and UFOs Files
World 12:20 PM - 2026-02-20 -
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
P.U.K 08:02 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
Kurdistan 10:34 PM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. President to Visit China Amid Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
World 09:31 AM - 2026-02-21 -
UK Foreign Secretary to Meet Rubio Amid Renewed U.S. Criticism Over Chagos Deal
World 05:42 PM - 2026-02-20





.jpg)
Application

