DPM Talabani Calls on International Community to Stop infringements on Iraqi Territory
Kurdistan 05:00 PM - 2024-08-23
Deputy Prime Minister's media office
Deputy Prime Minister Qubad Talabani
On Friday, August 23, 2024, a drone targeted a vehicle transporting three journalists in the village of Taparash, in the Said Sadiq District, Sulaymaniyah. As a result, two of them lost their lives, while the other one had severe injuries. The two journalists who were killed were both females.
Deputy Prime Minister Qubad Talabani published a statement, saying: "The individuals who were killed in the drone attack near Said Sadiq district were two female journalists, who were not affiliated with any armed forces and therefore did not pose a threat to the security and stability of any country or region."
The following is DPM's full statement:
The individuals who were killed in the drone attack near Said Sadiq district were two female journalists, who were not affiliated with any armed forces and therefore did not pose a threat to the security and stability of any country or region
The assassination of these two journalists is an unjustifiable crime against all international laws and norms, and we firmly denounce it. In addition, it constitutes an obvious violation of Iraqi sovereignty. We urge the federal government and the international community to promptly stop these infringements, which pose a significant danger to the lives of civilians in the Kurdistan Region.
On this occasion, I offer my condolences to the families of the two journalists who were killed and express my hope for a swift recovery of the other individual who was injured.
PUK Faction: Iraqi Government Should Break Silence on the Violations
The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) Faction in the Iraqi parliament condemned the drone attack in Said Sadiq district, which killed two female journalists and seriously injured another.
The PUK Faction said:
The PUK Faction in the Iraqi parliament vehemently denounces the drone assault in the vicinity of Said Sadiq district, aimed at the vehicle carrying a team of journalists, resulting in the death of two female journalists and inflicting severe injuries on another.
These illegal acts are unjustified and in violation of international norms and customs. They also constitute infringements and disregard for the sovereignty of Iraqi territory and airspace.
Hence, we urge the federal government to end its silence over the frequent encroachments on Iraq and the Kurdistan Region's territory and airspace, which pose a grave danger to civilian life.
Metro Centre & KJS's Sulaymaniyah Branch Denounce Recent Drone Attack
The Sulaymaniyah branch of Kurdistan Journalists Syndicate and the Metro Centre for Journalists Rights and Advocacy have released a joint statement denouncing the attack on three journalists.
The Metro Centre and the Sulaymaniyah Branch of the Kurdistan Journalists Syndicate have released a joint statement, saying: "We firmly denounce the criminal attack conducted by Türkiye, resulting in the targeted assassination of two journalists (Hero Bahadin and Gulistan Tara) employed by Stark TV, an entity officially authorised by the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG)."
"The attack occurred near Said Sadiq District, where a vehicle transporting three Stark TV employees was targeted. As a result, two journalists lost their lives, while the other journalist sustained severe injuries. We both firmly condemn the attack," they stated.
They further said: "The Turkish army has previously targeted journalists on multiple occasions. Journalists from Chra TV and Chra FM were deliberately attacked by the Turkish Air Force on July 8 in the Sinjar District. Tragically, journalist Murad Mirza lost his life in the attack, while Madiya Hassan and Khalaf Haider sustained injuries."
In the end of their statement, both parties urged the KRG and the Iraqi government to place maximum pressure on Turkey in order to prevent any further infringements on the rights of journalists and civilians.
PUKMEDIA
More news
-
European Parliament Member Calls for Continued Humanitarian Aid to Rojava
01:55 PM - 2026-02-21 -
CDO, Sulaymaniyah University Delegation Conclude Field Visit to Historic Shu’aibiya Monument in Basra
11:53 AM - 2026-02-21 -
North Oil Company Says Kirkuk Gas Compression Station Fire Under Control
10:26 AM - 2026-02-21 -
U.S. President to Visit China Amid Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
09:31 AM - 2026-02-21
see more
P.U.K 01:32 PM - 2026-02-21 PUK President: We Promise to Work to Strengthen the Kurdish Language in Every Sphere
Deputy PM: Our Mission has Shifted from Preserving Kurdish Language to Developing It
11:28 AM - 2026-02-21
International Mother Language Day Highlights Urgent Need to Protect Linguistic Diversity
09:56 AM - 2026-02-21
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
10:34 PM - 2026-02-20
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
08:02 PM - 2026-02-20
Most read
-
The Battle for the Mind: Cultural Independence in a Changing Middle East
Opinions 12:10 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Kremlin Says Russia–Japan Relations “Reduced to Zero” Amid Territorial Dispute
World 02:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Only One Bakery Can Operate As Kobani Siege Continues
Kurdistan 05:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. Pays $160 Million of More Than $4 Billion Owed to UN
World 11:03 AM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. President Directs Government to Prepare Release of Aliens and UFOs Files
World 12:20 PM - 2026-02-20 -
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
P.U.K 08:02 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
Kurdistan 10:34 PM - 2026-02-20 -
UK Foreign Secretary to Meet Rubio Amid Renewed U.S. Criticism Over Chagos Deal
World 05:42 PM - 2026-02-20





.jpg)
Application

