UK Recognizes ISIS's Genocide Actions Against Yazidis
World 05:27 PM - 2023-08-01
AFP
Four Yazidis with photographs of their family members
According to
Agence France-Presse (AFP), the British Foreign Office declared today, Tuesday,
in a statement that the government views ISIS' treatment of Yazidis in Iraq in
2014 as "genocide."
"The UK has today
formally acknowledged that acts of genocide were committed against the Yazidi
people by Daesh (Islamic State, ISIS) in 2014," stated
the UK foreign office.
According to the Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (FCDO), the announcement coincides with the ninth anniversary of the
"atrocities" ISIS committed against the Yazidi Kurds in Iraq.
The Holocaust and the genocides in
Rwanda, Srebrenica, and Cambodia are the only four previous genocides that the
UK has acknowledged to date.
From 2014 to 2015, ISIS
terrorists dominated the Sinjar (Shingal) district, the Yazidis' traditional
home, and perpetrated atrocities against the Yazidis, a religious minority that
ISIS specifically targeted. These atrocities included mass executions, forced
marriages, sexual assault, and enslavement.
According to a statement by the UK's
minister for the Middle East, Tariq Ahmad, "the Yazidi population suffered
greatly at the hands of Daesh nine years ago, and the effects are still being
felt today."
The British government had
previously denounced ISIS's crimes against the Yazidis, but those denunciations
did not go as far as to label those crimes as genocide.
In January of last year, the German
Parliament (Bundestag) recognized the atrocities committed by the terrorist
organization ISIS against the Yazidis in Iraq as genocide and proposed several
aid measures.
According to the Yazidi Affairs
Office of the Kurdistan Regional Government to Rescue the Kidnapped Yazidis,
more than 6,000 Yazidis were abducted when ISIS stormed their Nineveh
Governorate stronghold, and more than 2,000 of these individuals are still
missing.
The office reports that more than
120,000 Yazidis have fled Iraq since ISIS began its attacks, and thousands of
those who remain reside in camps.
PUKMEDIA
More news
-
European Parliament Member Calls for Continued Humanitarian Aid to Rojava
01:55 PM - 2026-02-21 -
CDO, Sulaymaniyah University Delegation Conclude Field Visit to Historic Shu’aibiya Monument in Basra
11:53 AM - 2026-02-21 -
North Oil Company Says Kirkuk Gas Compression Station Fire Under Control
10:26 AM - 2026-02-21 -
U.S. President to Visit China Amid Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
09:31 AM - 2026-02-21
see more
P.U.K 01:32 PM - 2026-02-21 PUK President: We Promise to Work to Strengthen the Kurdish Language in Every Sphere
Deputy PM: Our Mission has Shifted from Preserving Kurdish Language to Developing It
11:28 AM - 2026-02-21
International Mother Language Day Highlights Urgent Need to Protect Linguistic Diversity
09:56 AM - 2026-02-21
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
10:34 PM - 2026-02-20
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
08:02 PM - 2026-02-20
Most read
-
The Battle for the Mind: Cultural Independence in a Changing Middle East
Opinions 12:10 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Kremlin Says Russia–Japan Relations “Reduced to Zero” Amid Territorial Dispute
World 02:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Only One Bakery Can Operate As Kobani Siege Continues
Kurdistan 05:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. Pays $160 Million of More Than $4 Billion Owed to UN
World 11:03 AM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. President Directs Government to Prepare Release of Aliens and UFOs Files
World 12:20 PM - 2026-02-20 -
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
P.U.K 08:02 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
Kurdistan 10:34 PM - 2026-02-20 -
UK Foreign Secretary to Meet Rubio Amid Renewed U.S. Criticism Over Chagos Deal
World 05:42 PM - 2026-02-20





.jpg)
Application

