CENTCOM Urges De-Escalation in Syria and Calls on Government Forces to Halt Offensive Actions
World 10:52 PM - 2026-01-17
AP
CENTCOM Commander Admiral Brad Cooper,.
The Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM), Admiral Brad Cooper, has welcomed ongoing efforts aimed at reducing hostilities, while urging Syrian government forces to cease any offensive actions in areas stretching between Aleppo and al-Tabqa.
“We welcome ongoing efforts by all parties in Syria to prevent escalation and pursue resolution through dialogue. We also urge Syrian government forces to cease any offensive actions in areas between Aleppo and al-Tabqa,” Adm. Cooper said in a statement posted by the CENTCOM on X on Saturday.
“Aggressively pursuing ISIS and relentlessly applying military pressure requires teamwork among Syrian partners in coordination with U.S. and coalition forces. A Syria at peace with itself and its neighbors is essential to peace and stability across the region,” he added.
The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) issued a statement earlier on Saturday accusing the Syrian Interim Government of violating an internationally brokered agreement concerning the towns of Dayr Hafir and Maskanah, east of Aleppo.
The SDF later said in statement that their forces have fully restored security in the town of Al-Mansurah in Al-Tabqah District, Raqqa, following operations to dismantle armed cells accused of attempting to undermine stability in the area.
Al-Mansurah was not a part of the regions where the SDF was spoused to withdraw.
SDF Commander-in-Chief Mazloum Abdi said in a statement late on Friday: "Based on calls from friendly countries and mediators, and in our show of good faith in completing the integration process and adhering to the terms of the March 10th agreement, we have decided to withdraw our forces tomorrow at 7:00 AM."
He added: "Our forces will withdraw from the current front lines east of Aleppo, which have been under attack for two days, and redeploy to areas east of the Euphrates."
The move comes after fierce clashes that broke out last week in the northern city of Aleppo, leaving dozens dead, according to Syria's health ministry, and forced more than 150,000 to flee the two Kurdish-run pockets of the city.
PUKMEDIA
More news
-
Qubad Talabani Meets British Consul General to Discuss Regional Development
08:11 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Shaswar Abdulwahid: Our Agreement With PUK Aims to Serve the People of Kurdistan
05:12 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Iraqi Parliament Approves Committee Amendments and Key Appointments
04:49 PM - 2026-02-17 -
U.S. President Says He Will Be Involved Indirectly in Iran Talks
10:19 AM - 2026-02-17
see more
Kurdistan 10:32 PM - 2026-02-17 PUK President Calls for Harmony and National Responsibility in Ramadan Message
Asayish Dismantle ISIS-Affiliated Cell in Kurdistan Region
08:50 PM - 2026-02-17
PUK Politburo Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslims in Kurdistan and Iraq
08:05 PM - 2026-02-17
188 Violations Against Journalists Recorded in Kurdistan in 2025, Report Finds
03:17 PM - 2026-02-17
Qubad Talabani: Changes Will Begin From Erbil
12:43 PM - 2026-02-17
Most read
-
Iraqi Parliament Approves Committee Amendments and Key Appointments
Iraq 04:49 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Asayish Dismantle ISIS-Affiliated Cell in Kurdistan Region
Kurdistan 08:50 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Qubad Talabani: Changes Will Begin From Erbil
P.U.K 12:43 PM - 2026-02-17 -
U.S. President Says He Will Be Involved Indirectly in Iran Talks
World 10:19 AM - 2026-02-17 -
Qubad Talabani Meets British Consul General to Discuss Regional Development
Kurdistan 08:11 PM - 2026-02-17 -
PUK Politburo Extends Ramadan Greetings to Muslims in Kurdistan and Iraq
P.U.K 08:05 PM - 2026-02-17 -
Cyber Attacks on Sulaymaniyah Media Intensify
Reports 11:37 AM - 2026-02-17 -
Brent Edges Lower as Focus Shifts to Key U.S.-Iran Talks
News 09:08 AM - 2026-02-17






Application

