Kurdish Rights Decree Falls Short Without Comprehensive Constitution, AANES Says

World 11:56 AM - 2026-01-17
The Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria's (AANES) logo. ANHA

The Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria's (AANES) logo.

Syria Kurds

The Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (AANES) has issued a statement in response to a presidential decree by Syrian interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa concerning Kurdish rights. The administration emphasised that the decree, while a step forward, cannot provide a genuine guarantee for the rights of all Syrian communities unless it is part of a comprehensive constitutional framework.

In its statement, the AANES said that rights cannot be secured through temporary decrees but must be enshrined in a permanent constitution that reflects the will of all peoples and communities. The administration highlighted the need for a democratic, pluralistic constitution that protects the rights of all Syrian communities, groups and beliefs, recognising the country’s diversity as a source of strength.

"While we consider this decree a first step, it falls short of the aspirations of the Syrian people, who have made immense sacrifices in their pursuit of a democratic state where everyone enjoys a free and dignified life based on justice and equality," the statement read.

The administration reaffirmed that a lasting solution to rights and freedoms in Syria requires a comprehensive national dialogue and a decentralised, democratic constitution that ensures genuine partnership among all Syrians and lays the foundations for citizenship and social justice.

The AANES also cited its Social Contract, which sets out the administration’s commitment to protecting the rights of all communities in the region.

Syria's interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa issued a decree affirming the rights of the Kurdish Syrians, formally recognising their language and restoring citizenship to all Kurdish Syrians, state news agency SANA reported on Friday.

Sharaa's decree came after fierce clashes that broke out last week in the northern city of Aleppo, leaving dozens dead, according to Syria's health ministry, and forced more than 150,000 to flee the two Kurdish-run pockets of the city.




PUKMEDIA

see more

Most read

The News in your pocket

Download

Logo Application

Play Store App Store Logo
The News In Your Pocket