Typhoon Ragasa Leaves 14 Dead in Taiwan, China Begins Post-Storm Cleanup
World 10:57 AM - 2025-09-25
AFP
Hualien, Taiwan, on September 24, 2025
Taiwanese authorities have revised the death toll from Super Typhoon Ragasa, reducing it from 17 to 14, after investigations revealed some casualties had been double-counted. The number of people reported missing has also dropped to 33 from an earlier 152, following updates from search and rescue teams.
The typhoon’s outer bands caused heavy rainfall in Hualien County, leading to the overflow of a barrier lake in the mountains and a destructive flood through the town of Guangfu. In Hong Kong, the storm brought severe flooding, widespread property damage, and significant travel disruption, with hundreds of flights cancelled. Over 760 residents sought shelter in emergency centres, while a five-year-old boy and his mother were reported in critical condition after being swept into the sea.
As Ragasa moved into southern China, nearly two million residents in Guangdong province were evacuated from flood-prone areas. Hurricane-force winds and heavy rainfall prompted a rare red storm surge warning, with waves forecast to reach up to 2.8 metres along the coast.
The typhoon also impacted the northern Philippines and other parts of Southeast Asia. Meteorologists have warned that climate change may be contributing to the increasing frequency and intensity of extreme weather events in the region. Although Ragasa has now weakened into a tropical storm, heavy rainfall continues to pose risks in Vietnam and neighbouring countries.
Authorities in China have begun large-scale clean-up operations, while emergency services in affected areas continue rescue efforts. The destruction caused by Typhoon Ragasa highlights the pressing need for enhanced disaster preparedness and regional cooperation to mitigate the effects of future storms.
Sources: Al-Jazeera, AP, and the Independent
PUKMEDIA
More news
-
European Parliament Member Calls for Continued Humanitarian Aid to Rojava
01:55 PM - 2026-02-21 -
CDO, Sulaymaniyah University Delegation Conclude Field Visit to Historic Shu’aibiya Monument in Basra
11:53 AM - 2026-02-21 -
North Oil Company Says Kirkuk Gas Compression Station Fire Under Control
10:26 AM - 2026-02-21 -
U.S. President to Visit China Amid Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
09:31 AM - 2026-02-21
see more
P.U.K 01:32 PM - 2026-02-21 PUK President: We Promise to Work to Strengthen the Kurdish Language in Every Sphere
Deputy PM: Our Mission has Shifted from Preserving Kurdish Language to Developing It
11:28 AM - 2026-02-21
International Mother Language Day Highlights Urgent Need to Protect Linguistic Diversity
09:56 AM - 2026-02-21
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
10:34 PM - 2026-02-20
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
08:02 PM - 2026-02-20
Most read
-
The Battle for the Mind: Cultural Independence in a Changing Middle East
Opinions 12:10 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Kremlin Says Russia–Japan Relations “Reduced to Zero” Amid Territorial Dispute
World 02:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Only One Bakery Can Operate As Kobani Siege Continues
Kurdistan 05:05 PM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. President Directs Government to Prepare Release of Aliens and UFOs Files
World 12:20 PM - 2026-02-20 -
PUK's Saadi Ahmed Pire Meets Swedish Left Party Delegation in Erbil
P.U.K 08:02 PM - 2026-02-20 -
Fahmi Burhan: District Status Change of Jalawla Is Unconstitutional
Kurdistan 10:34 PM - 2026-02-20 -
U.S. President to Visit China Amid Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
World 09:31 AM - 2026-02-21 -
UK Foreign Secretary to Meet Rubio Amid Renewed U.S. Criticism Over Chagos Deal
World 05:42 PM - 2026-02-20





.jpg)
Application

